1. Get in better shape financially.
- I wish it was as easy to see/make progress in this category as it is with the basement! This is a slooow moving process.
- I'm working the "money system" that we set up. This means that I opened a 2nd checking account that I can easily move money into from our other checking account. Everything that is a "to zero" account (as in, the goal is to get these debts to zero) like credit cards, car/house, student loans, etc., gets paid from this account. Other stuff gets paid from our regular checking. This has really helped a lot. I have a much clearer idea of how much money we have for the "discretionary" spending by separating them into different accounts.
- I picked up this book at the library: The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed. I'm about half way into it and it's a great book for those with irregular income and pay schedules.
- I'm trying to spend less on groceries. I still am not getting into a habit of using coupons. I don't buy a lot of brand name stuff though and I do a lot of our shopping for food at Aldi's and Sam's Club, which don't take coupons. But I know there is room for improvement here!!
- I've been following sites like The Frugal Girls and Money Saving Mom for coupons, ideas for cutting costs and just general motivation for getting by on less. I've probably gotten $100+ in free items from Shutterfly, Snapfish, Kodak which I've used to make photo books, cards and calendars.
2. Get the house organized.
- I have sorted through no less than 20 bags and totes in the month of February. All kid stuff. Every last bunch of clothes that is too small for my kids has now either been donated or lent out (and when they are returned, they will NOT go back into our basement!)
- I've started organizing another shelving rack - lots of Halloween costumes, outside stuff for the pool, camping, life vests, etc.
- Justin worked on the rest of the kitchen cabinets and our laundry room (again). They've been rearranged and reorganized. He fixed the lazy Susan so now it can hold cans again - so we swapped the pasta in the pantry and cans (again).
- I've Craigs Listed some of the kids toys (stuff that they've outgrown).
- Doing projects like this every weekend can make it really hard to keep up with the regular chores like laundry and general pick up! There are areas of the house that are pretty rough right now - especially the front room which gets used as the holding spot for donations and items to get distributed.
- I am still running and still loving it. I've stopped increasing my distance and am concentrating on time and making sure I have better form. I was getting shin splints and knee pain. It's better when I concentrate on keeping my legs/feet in better form and stop flopping around like the Elaine dance.
- I've been forcing myself to add in more weights a couple times a week. I'd like to take a class here soon, like yoga or pilates - I've got some strength training classes to use that I bought on Groupon (oh how I love that site!)
- I sweat my butt off - I am rather smelly afterward - I often hurt like an SOB when I'm done and for a day or two after, but it makes me feel great to push myself physically.
4. Do more family activities.
- Still a lot of at-home family time and movie nights. The weather was so cruddy the past few weeks, it makes it hard to want to go anywhere.I think it might be time to resurrect a family game night or something...
- Justin and Ella attended their father/daughter Valentine dance.
- We do eat dinner together as a family - all 5 of us - at least 5 of 7 days a week usually - I think that is pretty good. I know that will decline as the kids get older and into more activities but for now, it's quite nice.
5. Spend more time on our interests and hobbies.
- Ugh, I am still not finding time to get out and take photos. And I have not done any of the weekly photos like I said I was going to commit to.
- I did take 3 online Photoshop classes in February. I learned a great deal and now need to find time to practice what I learned!! I'll try to kill 2 birds with one stone and work on a couple pics to post for a weekly photo theme.someday.
6. Decrease my anxiety about death, dying and cancer.
- comes and goes. bad news, good news, feelin' good, got a headache. it's a brain tumor, don't be silly, what's that bump? time for a run and an extra dose of vitamin D. I may need to be one of those people that avoids the news too - it's a real bummer.
7. Spend more time with my husband.
- We went out to dinner (alone) to La Famosa - a Latin restaurant up the road. It had very yummy food.
- We stood in line together (without the kids) for at least 30 minutes waiting to use our Buy One Get One coupon at Chipotle - that is quality time.
- We have watched a lot of OSU men's basketball together lately and that has been a lot of fun.
7b. No more kids, so I have to watch just how much time I'm spending with my husband.
- Contemplating options.


0 comments:
Post a Comment