I should know better than to try to get a "good-night's-sleep" - I know this by now. I headed to bed earlier than I have been lately (considering the holidays, having company in the house the last 10 days AND the Buckeye's game - which we will NOT talk about).
Silas had been coughing (Thanks to Typhoid Mary and her sick kids - and that is Emily's self-label, not mine! :)
We got Silas to bed, lathered in Vick's vapo rub (yes, I do put it on his feet as well as his chest), got Ella to bed and all was well. Like I mentioned, I went to bed "early-ish". Woke up a few times around midnight to Silas coughing, woke up a few times because I didn't hear Silas coughing (and of course that made me nervous so I had to get up and check on him).
Woke up around 1:30 because Ella's elbow delivered a blow to my eyeball that could have knocked-0ut Mohammad Ali - I really thought she had deflated my eyeball (though I'm pretty sure they don't just pop like a balloon.)
2:00am - Ella wakes up and asks for a cup of water - got it - go back to sleep
2:45am - Ella wakes up and asks for a cup of water - got it - go back to sleep
3:45am - Ella wakes up and asks for a cup of water - got it - go back to sleep
4:00am - Ella says - Mommy, I have to pee - makes sense - then I see her in a full blown run to the potty - and then hear some terrible retching noises - she made it to the bathroom but couldn't get the toilet lid up in time - say bye-bye to one new roll of toilet paper and a box of Always maxipads :-(

The poor thing retched a few times. She is the best puker that I know - she takes it all in stride, it doesn't freak her out, she holds back her hair, wipes her mouth and then nods her head to herself like she is saying "okay, I think I'm done".
She then came back to bed (she was sleeping with us because Aunt Em and the cousins had her room). I tucked her back in, kissed her forehead and then stroked the side of her face a few times before putting my head down. As I laid my head on the pillow, she reaches up and strokes my face a few times and then reaches for my hand.
My first thought is: she is going to take care of me when I'm old.
My second thought is: we should NOT be holding hands with all these germs...
But of course, I don't let go.

4 comments:
so sweet! I on the other hand might not keep holding on. I am so paranoid about not getting sick...constantly washing my hands and anything else that can keep the virus away. Get well Ella and Si.
That's so sweet! I have to admit...it made me a little teary!
What a sweet moment. I love/hate it when Gavin comes in my room in the morning and holds my hand or puts his arms around me and says "I love you Mommy". I have three thoughts. 1) He is going to make a great husband someday 2) I hope I am not making him too feminine and 3) I wish he would stop so I can sleep more - but then I don't want him to stop because I am awake anyway.
What a cute story. I miss my snuggle time with the girls. They're mostly too cool for that you know, although I do still get a good hug now and again.
Hope everyone is getting better.
Post a Comment