We got to see our friends, the Bulls, this past week. It was great to see them "live" and not just online. The kids got to watch movies and play Wii together. Gavin taught us a few words in Japanese :)
Ella has been on a reading kick...she brought a chapter book home from school this week, and instead of asking me to read it with her, she grabbed a reading chair and blanket and snuggled in. I love it. It reminds me of me when I was a kid. I was all about the Nancy Drew books (which are all still in a box in the basement). The problem is that she sits and reads the entire chapter book in an evening and doesn't want to stop for dinner, bath, bed, etc.
As for myself, I've been putting a lot of thought into what I really want to get accomplished in this YOSP (Year of Significant Progress in case you forgot). I could probably list about 50 things that I'd like to do...but I'm trying to keep it realistic and have chosen the areas of highest priority to concentrate on:
1. Get in better shape financially. This has been a goal for a long time and we've gotten better. But not good enough. This also includes things like update will, take care of necessary estate planning type stuff, etc. I don't want to have to worry about this kind of stuff if a crisis hits.
2. Get the house organized. I love our house, but the clutter and lack of "a place for everything" is killing me. My goal is to get the basement cleared out, finished space for our offices and a place for the kids (and adults) to hang out. It also includes moving the laundry room to the basement and making the 1st floor laundry room more of a "mudroom" for coats, shoes, book bags, and some extra pantry room area. This is a tall order but a top priority for 2011!
3. Health and fitness...get into better shape! This has been needed for awhile now. Over the last couple years I had totally stopped making time for regular exercise. So, regular exercise, watching what I eat and drink more closely and participating in events (like the Warrior Dash and some 5k's) to keep me motivated. I also want to get new tires for my bike that hasn't been touched in the last 5+ years!
4. Do more family activities. This is partly related to #3. We had so much fun ice skating over break and going to the zoo and to see the Globetrotters and The Nutcracker. I want to make sure we're doing this type of stuff more often. A variety of healthy activities, fun, church, volunteer, cultural, travel...exposure to much more for the kids.
5. Spend more time on our interests and hobbies. For me, this is photography, blogging and reading. I want to work on my photography skills more this year. I didn't do much in this regard last year. Blogging is also really important to me. When Grandpa J passed away and I saw all the family papers and pictures that he had held on to...that was cool. But very unorganized. Blogging is my journaling and scrapbooking rolled into one. It's important to me that I have it to look back on and more importantly, that the kids can look back at this and remember what our daily family life was like in these captured moments. Part of this goal is also to finally start making an annual book out of the blog.
6. Decrease my anxiety about death, dying and cancer. It's everywhere and it's all part of life, so I had better get used to that. The last 3+ years have been bad news after bad news on the cancer front. It has consumed my thoughts sporadically in an unhealthy way. Fear. Fear that another loved one, or my kids or even I would be next. I'd love to think and believe that the worst is over, but who knows? So I had better learn to deal with it.
7. Spend more time with my husband. I am very blessed to have a husband that I love and adore and love to spent time with. Over the last few months we've gotten to sneak out for a dinner or shopping, just the two of us (thanks to Mason who doesn't mind staying home with the little ones from time to time). It's great to connect as husband and wife, and not just as parents. I'd like to do that more.
7b. No more kids, so I have to watch just how much time I'm spending with my husband. This one has been kinda tough for me to swallow. When we tried last year for a 4th and then miscarried, it really left me longing for one more beautiful babe. But when we look at where we are now, where our kids are at now (and how old I am now!), it just makes more sense to let the fat lady sing. I know without a doubt that I will always wish we had had one more. But when I look at goals 1-7 above, I know it's the right decision for our family. As my wise friend, DZ, told me...You gotta be done sometime...I just need to learn to accept that now!
So this year...I/we had better make some progress on all these fronts. Significant progress!! It can be overwhelming to look at this list and wonder where I will find the time to make these things happen but my mind keeps coming back to this quote from Storypeople:
"Everything changed the day she figured out there was exactly enough time for the important things in her life."

3 comments:
Well Written and said! I know you will accomplish all you set out to do..
You are an ambitious girl, but I like your goals! here's to a happy and successful 2011!
Great list!
Post a Comment