Sunday, January 16, 2011

YOSP - January Update - 2 weeks in

I plan to do a YOSP update at least once a month...I want to see my progress in writing!!

1. Get in better shape financially.
  • I've updated to Quicken software since my "financial institution" decided to update their online banking and it's not compatible with MS Money and I wasn't too happy that they didn't tell me that before the transition! (Apparently I was the last person on earth to know that Microsoft is getting rid of Money).
  • Have a meeting with a planner scheduled to help organize priorities, pay off debt plan and get a better handle on the business expenses for myself and Justin.  
  • Ebaying unused items...$100+ so far in the last couple weeks :)
  • Lots of juggling this month as the aftermath of the NY trips and Christmas hit the books.  We are using our Neat Receipt software and scanner to make sure that we are aware of what we spend the money on though.  It's very helpful to not only know that I spent $52 at Target but how much was necessity and how much was "oh, that is cute!"...

2. Get the house organized. 
  • started cleaning out the basement - we sorted through 2 shelving racks full of unorganized stuff.  A lot of it was the Christmas decorations, but also some other holidays, found some old albums (CCR and Nielson Schmeilson for Justin, AC/DC and Thriller for me :)  We have pulled a ton of stuff already that can be donated, some to be stored away for once we finish the basement and lots that is just plain old garbage!
  • sorted and downsized the maternity clothes from 7 totes down to 2!  Those 2 can either be donated or consigned.


  

  • Cleaned out the master closet. What a mess!  You can see before (left) and after (right) in the pics :)
 

3. Health and fitness...get into better shape!

  • We've been been going to the Y 3 times a week.
  • I have increased my running from 0 miles 4 weeks ago to (on average) 3.5 to 4 miles. My max so far was 5.5 miles on Saturday.
  • Justin and I bought new running shoes that will help decrease, or possibly even eliminate, the pain!!  My left leg/knee/hip/hamstring has been very sore since I started running and looking at the video of my form (that they took at the shoe store) it's no wonder! I run like a duck!
  • When you are walking/running on a treadmill, and it shows you how many calories you are burning...and then you consider popping a Twix or KitKat into your month, you realize that it will take 45 minutes of running to burn off those calories. It really makes you think about "is it worth it?" and I'd rather save my calories for wine! (oh, and healthy food too).
4. Do more family activities. 
  • We haven't done any "organized" activities but we've had some movie nights at home.
  • Ella started indoor soccer this week  - I think she'll really enjoy it!
  • Family Y time now that we're going regularly again!
5. Spent more time on our interests and hobbies. 
  • Running has quickly become a new hobby!
  • I know this sounds cliche...but I've given myself "permission" to enjoy more time for reading, blogging and photography (and now exercising as well).  I have a huge guilt complex when it comes to work because I work by the "billable hour".  So when I'm not working, I'm not getting paid. Changing my mindset has helped greatly.
  • My friend, NetterB is doing a photo project - a weekly theme and posting of weekly photos.  I love the idea and have decide to do the same on my FotoBabble blog.  I did a Google search and decided to follow the themes posted on this site. I am 2 weeks behind but plan to catch up with the weekly themes tomorrow!

6. Decrease my anxiety about death, dying and cancer. 
  • This seems to be taking care of itself...the more I workout and feel "healthy" the less I worry about it. 


7. Spend more time with my husband. 
  • This has mainly consisted of quality "home organizing" time lately and going to the Y together.  

7b. No more kids, so I have to watch just how much time I'm spending with my husband. 
  • So far, so good!
I feel pretty happy with the progress on my list so far.  If I could continue at this pace, I will definitely have a YOSP!!

4 comments:

Netter said...

Your post is inspiring - it makes me motivated to start doing some of the same. I need to get working on my ebay stuff and there's definitely some areas of our home that could stand more organizing. I'm glad you're doing the photo project too - I love your photos! It will be nice to have someone I know doing it too and hopefully it will keep me diligent through the year.
Thanks for your positive spirit!

Andrea said...

7 totes of maternity clothes!?!?!? I thought that I was a clothes horse, but you've got me beat! Good job with all of your progress!

The Bennett Family said...

What a great job. I have been using you a lot for inspiration when I am too tired to make dinner and I just want to get some thing quick. I think about you guys and how you make all your meals and if you can do it so can I. Plus with some other things that I can't remember right now, I am go to blame that on the preggo brain. But you guys are a great example to me. Love you all!

LGibbs said...

Love the update & your progress!! Keep up the great work!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails