Tuesday, December 16, 2008

O Tannenbaum...O tannenbaum

We put our Christmas tree up the weekend before last - always a fun time in our house. I'd love to say that we take a fun-filled family drive to a tree farm, carefully select and cut down our tree (all while frolicking in the snow) and then sing Christmas carols all the way home.

The REAL story is: we pack the kids into the van, make the 10 minute drive to Lowes, spend 4.67 minutes picking out the perfect tree (Mason and Justin usually agree on several that I veto before we all agree) and then we pay our $15.97 for it, net it and stick it on the roof of the van. Usually (always), Ella and I cannot stand to even be outside for the total of 5 minutes that it takes, so while Dad is paying for the tree, we're back in the van warming up.

When Mason was little, Justin and I took our first tree-buying trip to Lowe's - and yes, we were the people that tied the doors shut on the car (with Mason inside - luckily he was about 3 or 4 at the time). And yes, we had him roll down the windows so we could climb in and not have to untie the tree. Truly not something that I should admit to!
But 10 years later, we are pros - we have a minivan with a roof rack now and that makes it pretty foolproof.

Another confession: I am about totally worthless when it comes to the tree-trimming event. I am in charge of music and eggnog when we decorate. I do put the household decorations up, but mostly I try to make myself look busy. I am more of the re-arranger once the tree trimmings are placed.

The best part for me is seeing all the old ornaments that we had when I was growing up and the ones that the kids have made over the years.


Silas hanging an icicle on the tree (actually, on the cord to the lights)

Ella has become the official "angel-put-er-on-er"



Silas loves the nutcracker - it tries to bite him

Justin and I laughed our butts off at this - Mason made it in the 2nd grade (it's a snowman). He has my artistic (in)ability.
It reminds me of the snowman from The Nightmare Before Christmas movie.

2 comments:

DougJillAbsandAl said...

Priceless! We just put up the fake one weeks early but still laugh our butts off at all the homemade ornaments. And, I made Doug put up 2 again this year. He was thrilled!

Jodi said...

Looks Great!
Ditto on home made ornaments and I put up the 2 tree- Kevin is the scrooge this time of year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails