Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Birthday Mason!

7/3/1995


I tucked you in as a newborn babe - close to my heart

And to God I prayed

I’d do no harm and help you grow strong

In the blink of an eye – the first year was gone.




I tucked you in, a stubborn two - “I do it mommy!”

My prayers to God grew

I’d do no harm, Lord help me be strong

In the blink of an eye – the terrible two’s were gone.




I tucked you in - three, four and five

With God’s grace, help us to strive

We’d do no harm, make our family grow strong.

In the blink of an eye – three, four, five were gone.



I tucked you in - six, seven, eight, nine

Each night thanking God that you’re mine

We’d do no harm, Lord help us be strong

In the blink of an eye – six, seven, eight, nine…gone.





I tucked you in - ten, eleven and twelve

Praying to God, you’d find yourself

- Kind and true, confidence built strong

In the blink of an eye – ten, eleven, twelve were gone.



I tucked you in - on the eve of thirteen

Thanking the Lord for the glimpse that I’ve seen

Of the man you’re becoming with character strong

In the blink of an eye – the little boy gone.





___________________

I did tuck Mason in last night, wondering how thirteen years have gone so fast. How Mason was just Si's age, how I was just walking him to school like I'll do with Ella this fall. And looking at him, I see such a kind, funny kid - growing into a warm, caring young man. I can't ask for more.
Justin and I were talking last night - how young and naive we were when we had Mason. He broke us into parenthood gently. A fun, easy going, beautiful child that left us craving to be parents again (and again - but probably not
again).
We didn't have a name picked out when we went into labor. A baby popped out and we decided he looked like a Mason. The old English definition of Mason is "to make" - he made us a family and he has made me and Justin better people by being his parents.
We love you Mason Paul!




3 comments:

Kelly Syferd said...

Awww, you are making me all teary. Happy Birthday, Mason!

the4bulls said...

Why do you have to make me cry like that in the middle of the day? That was so sweet - and reminds me to treasure the days that go by to fast!

The Bennett Family said...

You sure know how to make a person cry first thing in the morning. What a beautiful poem.

Related Posts with Thumbnails