That guilty feeling usually lasts about the first 2 minutes of a 20-25 minute drive and then I am giddy with excitement about my time with the girls (and Mark - our lone male member who pumps us full of chocolate!). I take my iPod in the van and flip though until I find "the" song that seems to hit my mood of the moment. Today, with it being warm, sunny and summer - the song was Offspring - Come out and Play. I am one of those that sings and dances in the car (especially doing 65 mph on the highway) without much concern for who might see me (red lights are a different story). There are those fleeting moments when I think I must look like a goober, or a 38 year old mom, driving a not-so-cool minivan, that has lost touch with reality - but then I figure -Who cares?! This is MY time and I am not listening to Laurie Berkner, Hannah Montana or sibling fights! Life is good in the car with my iPod!
So book group was great, as it always is, and it was my night to make dessert. I brought Angel Food Cake with/ Lemon Cream and blueberries - it was very yummy and super easy. Most of us read Child 44 and really liked it. For next month we are reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Here's a picture of the girls from back in December - Patty, Marilyn, Donna, Danielle, Me and Susan (this was at my birthday dinner).

Somehow tonight we got to talking about family trips and long drives. I was reminded of the time that Justin, Mason and I were making a drive to New York to see Grandpa J. Mason was only about a year old. We decided it'd be easier if we left at night so that Mason would sleep all the way there. We packed up the car and hit the road around 1 a.m. or so - got to the first rest stop and we were so tired that we fell asleep in the teeny, tiny Honda Civic for about 5 hours - while less than 20 minutes away was our apartment and nice cozy beds - we have not tried the night driving thing since. We know we suck at it!
___________________________________________________________
The rest of the weekend has consisted of hanging out on patios, swimming and I started working on getting the basement cleaned out - going through totes and totes and more totes of kid clothes and stuff that just needs to be donated, tossed and passed along to someone that can get good use out of it!
Mason had his first real boy/girl party at Sarah's Pool Party on Friday night
Here is Mason and his old friend Alex (that he doesn't get to see too often now because they go to different schools.)



I am grateful for weekends like this one - lots of friend and family time, lots of work done around the house and happy to have gotten my ME time too.
Somehow tonight we got to talking about family trips and long drives. I was reminded of the time that Justin, Mason and I were making a drive to New York to see Grandpa J. Mason was only about a year old. We decided it'd be easier if we left at night so that Mason would sleep all the way there. We packed up the car and hit the road around 1 a.m. or so - got to the first rest stop and we were so tired that we fell asleep in the teeny, tiny Honda Civic for about 5 hours - while less than 20 minutes away was our apartment and nice cozy beds - we have not tried the night driving thing since. We know we suck at it!
___________________________________________________________
The rest of the weekend has consisted of hanging out on patios, swimming and I started working on getting the basement cleaned out - going through totes and totes and more totes of kid clothes and stuff that just needs to be donated, tossed and passed along to someone that can get good use out of it!
Mason had his first real boy/girl party at Sarah's Pool Party on Friday night
Here is Mason and his old friend Alex (that he doesn't get to see too often now because they go to different schools.)

And Sarah, Mason and Alex on the first day of 2nd grade 6 years ago!
Have I mentioned that time flies??
Have I mentioned that time flies??
I am grateful for weekends like this one - lots of friend and family time, lots of work done around the house and happy to have gotten my ME time too.

4 comments:
Glad you had fun at book group. You are right we mom's feel guilty when we try to have that ME time. The good news is like you said, it lasts only alittle.
Yes, yes, yes! I am already feeling guilty about leaving the boys on my girls trip this weekend. I know once I am on my way to the airport, I will be thinking of sitting on the beach with a nice fruity drink and not thinking about the boys. Greg already has plans to take them out to a couple of places.
We all need our "me" time!
And Greg and I did night driving once, before kids. We went to the Nascar race in PA and decided to drive home afterward. We barely made it home. I told him never again!
I remember you telling me the driving story several years ago. I laughed so hard and am doing so now! We used to do the night drive starting at 9 and going through the 16 hours (ugh) but now we leave at 2am (get a little cat nap before). It works!
NOT THAT HE (MOSAN) ISN'T A LITTLE CUTIE-PIE NOW, BUT HE SURE WAS CUTE 6 LONG (LONG) YEARS AGO.
YES, I REMEMBER THAT NIGHT THAT YOU NEVER SHOWED UP!! I REMEMBER J.P. CALLING AND EXPLAINING WHAT HAPPENED. I WAS GREATLY RELIEVED AND ALSO HAD A WONDERFUL LAUGH AT YOUR EXPENSE(I GUESS I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE).
EL PAPERINO, AKA WINE DELIVERY GUY, AKA ANONYMOUS
Post a Comment